Notice of Privacy Practices
This notice describes how your personal medical information maybe used and disclosed and how you may gain access to this information.
We encourage you to review this carefully.
Effective October 10, 2009.
Updated January 1, 2017.
Your Privacy Rights You have the right to:
- Review and obtain a copy of your medical and billing records,usually within 30 days of your request. A fee may apply. We may deny access to a portion of your health record, which you may request a a review of this denial.
- Require us to communicate with you with an alternate address or phone.
- Request an amendment to your health record.
- Request restrictions on how we use or share your medical information for treatment, billing or other purposes.
- Receive notice of a breach of confidentiality by Utah Spine care , or any of our business associates.
- Request an accounting of disclosures of your medical information to parties outside of Utah Spine.
- Request that information regarding the treatment and services you receive be withheld from you health plan if notification is received prior to services offered, and full payment is made by you and or someone else.
- Request a paper copy of our current Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Revoke your written authorization for releasing health information in certain circumstances.
Utah Spine Care is committed to protecting your private health information, please contact our office if you would like more information about your privacy rights or feel your rights have been violated. Complaints may be submitted to our office, with the expectation it will be fully investigated, and there will be no retaliation toward you for filing the complaint. You may also submit a written complaint to the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Contact Us www.Utahspinecare.com Locations:
McKay Dee Hospital Office
Ogden Regional Medical Center Office
How We Commonly Use You Health Information Your health information is commonly used for treatment, payment, and health care operations. Examples of each include:
We keep records of the care that we provide to you, the record of treatment allows our providers a resource to deliver the highest quality of care. This information at times will be shared with other care providers who may assist in your plan of care.
Your health information may be used to collect payment from you, your insurance company or from a third party. We may also disclose your information to your insurance company in regards to treatment or services which may require prior approval.
Health Care Operations:
Your health information may be part of staff training, cost management and evaluation of the quality of care provided.
We reserve the right to make changes to this Notice of Privacy Practices at any time. you may obtain a current copy of this notice from our front desk staff or online at Utahspinecare.com
This information will also be posted throughout each of our office locations.
Sharing Your Health Information There are situations in which we are required to disclose your health information, which do not require your authorization. These situations are:
- For public health purposes such as reporting communicable diseases, or reportable injuries
- To report victims of abuse or neglect
- To comply with lawsuits and similar proceedings
- Upon request from Law Enforcement as required by law or court order
- To coroners, medical examiners, and funeral directors
- For organ or tissue donation
- To prevent a serious threat to public health and safety
- To Worker’s Compensation or similar programs if injury occurred at work.
- To government intelligence and national security
- To government agencies to report a privacy breach
Other Use of Your Health Information We may use your information to:
- Evaluate and improve our care
- Fundraising or marketing purposes. These activities are purposes. These activities are performed with limited information, and you have the right to opt out of these practices which will not impact the care you will receive.
- Contract with third parties, known as business associates, who may perform specialized services for Utah Spine Care. Our business associates must also abide by federal and state regulations regarding privacy and security of health information.
- Perform research with limited health information data.
Use with your Written Authorization Your written request may be used to:
- Send your health information to a life insurance company.
- Send you information encouraging you to buy a product if we are paid to make contact with you
- Sell your health information to another organization
You have the right to revoke your written authorization at any time.