Hip pain or hip joint pain often develops gradually and can be from a number of causes. The pain can be debilitating. Hip pain will affect everything you do and rob you of your ability to do the everyday things you love. And it can keep you awake late at night, because you can’t get comfortable enough to sleep
The hip is a ball and socket joint that attaches the leg to the torso of the body. In the hip joint, the head of the femur (thighbone) swivels within the acetabulum, the socket, made up of pelvic bones. While many causes of hip pain can arise from the joint itself, there are numerous structures surrounding the hip that can also be the source of pain.
Common Causes Of Hip Pain
Pain my arise from structures that are within the hip joint or from structures surrounding the hip.
- Bursitis – Sometimes small lubricating sacs near tendons become inflamed and fill with fluid. This is called bursitis and can be very uncomfortable
- Wear and tear degeneration
- Sports related injuries
- Groin strain
- Hip fracture
- Labral Tear
- Pain you feel in the hip may reflect a problem in your back, rather than in the hip itself.
Dr. Anden will perform a physical exam with careful attention to your hips, thighs, back, and the way you walk. To help diagnose the cause of the problem we will ask questions regarding your pain and how it feels. We will view your hip under ultrasound, but you may be referred for additional imaging.
- Regenerative Injection Therapies – Regenerative medicine is expanding rapidly in the area of joint pain treatment. Through the use of harvested growth factors and stem cells from the patient’s own blood and bone marrow, regenerative medicine assists the body’s healing process.
- NSAIDS and ice to reduce inflammation
- At home exercises and physical therapy – Exercise for the hip is one of the best things to do to maintain range of motion & strengthening the muscles that support the hip.
- Ultrasound Guided Cortisone Injections – if inflammation is causing pain in your hip joint or hip bursa, Dr. Anden can inject a corticosteroid injection under ultrasound guidance
- Hip surgery – Surgery should only be considered when your pain is not helped by other treatments. Dr. Anden can refer you to the appropriate surgeon if this treatment is deemed medically necessary.
Our Mission is to Help You Feel Better.
We promote healing, restore function, and alleviate pain by integrating both modern and holistic medicine. Our promise to our patients is to create a specialized and honest plan, tailored to your specific symptoms and your individual needs.
Northern Utah Rehabilitation Hospital
5825 Harrison Blvd
Ogden, UT 84403
Our Office Hours
Monday – Thursday 8am – 5pm
Closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Dr. Corey Anden
Dr. Corey Anden is the Founder and Owner of Human + Nature. She is 4-Board Certified and specializes in Sports Medicine and Non-Surgical Orthopedics. She has been treating patients in the Ogden area for the past 32 years.